Thursday, August 30, 2018

Adjunct Voices: Safety is Not a Top Priority

Photo from texaslonestaronline.org

Safety is Not a Top Priority
by: Anonymous 

I’ve been a LSCS employee for about five years. I remember being so excited when I first received a job offer. I did not attend Lone Star as a college student, but I often utilized one of their campus libraries as a studying sanctuary while I earned my bachelor’s degree. The design of the library, the landscaping, and the organization of the campus made me fall in love with Lone Star. I genuinely enjoyed my study trips to the campus because it meant studying in such a beautiful place. So, years later, when I graduated from my university, I was excited to work in the environment I loved greatly.

However, after working for LSCS for the last five-ish years, I can say without a doubt that the beauty of Lone Star campuses is only skin deep. In my position, I deal with students every single day, several times a day, and there is no such thing as a “usual day.” Monday might be nice and easy, Tuesday might be a complete disaster, and Wednesday might be so hectic, I sneak off to the restroom and cry. Over the last years, I’ve had students intimidate me by getting right in my face, use deep, harsh tones, curse at me, threaten to hurt me, accuse me of not wanting to help them, and most recently – I had one who scared me so much, I was terrified of returning to work the following day. I’ve expressed my safety concerns to my supervisors every time I have any, but the result is always the same: nothing.

The process of reporting an incident involves the same steps each time: have an in-person conversation followed by an email following up with details, so there is a written record of the incident. Then, the supervisor(s) will email a response, claiming he or she is always concerned for employee safety. Until I see actual proof of this statement, I refuse to believe it.

Students who have been my biggest concerns are still on campus. Their behavior is unchanged and their attitudes have worsened since they are aware of my reports thanks to the supervisors. Some, but not all of these students, have learning accommodations, and when this is the case, I am always told to “be more understanding” and “have more patience.” I was even told this about the student who terrified me so much, I considered quitting because I feared being physically hurt by this student. When I described the incident to a supervisor, she said, without knowledge of any accommodations records, “Perhaps the student has accommodations.” After a light investigation, it was found this student did not have accommodations. The solution for this incident was that I try to be more understanding of all students, regardless of accommodations or no accommodations.

LSCS has safety workshops for employees, such as what to do in the event of an active shooter, a lockdown, a fire, a natural disaster, etc. and while these workshops give useful information, they’re not much helpful beyond just giving information. For example, in the event of an active shooter, hiding is an option for an employee, but if the shooter enters the employee’s hiding place and the employee is armed, the employee is advised NOT to shoot back due LSCS not wanting to deal with lawsuits. An employee can use other tools such a textbook or chair for defensive, but not a personal firearm or other personal weapon. In other words, employees are expected to simply die for a college that does not value them in the first place.

Yet, each time I express a concern, I am faced with the same routine. 1. Speak to a supervisor, 2. Send a follow up email, and 3. Wonder why I brought up the incident at all. Nothing is ever done and protection seems to be for the students only. I can’t say why this is because I don’t know the exact reason, but it might have something to do with keeping tuition money flowing to the college. Who knows? While I used to be ecstatic to be a LSCS employee, my perspective on LSCS has changed dramatically after witnessing the lack of addressing employee safety concerns. I admit that I tend to “half ass” my duties now because I just don’t care anymore. I can’t have enthusiasm for a place which dismisses all my safety concerns. Perhaps LSCS should be more understanding of their employees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here: